Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Review: Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson

35068534Title: Monday's Not Coming
Author: Tiffany D Jackson
Medium: Audiobook
Narrator: Imani Parks
Blurb: Monday Charles is missing, and only Claudia seems to notice. Claudia and Monday have always been inseparable—more sisters than friends. So when Monday doesn’t turn up for the first day of school, Claudia’s worried. When she doesn’t show for the second day or the second week, Claudia knows that something is wrong. Monday wouldn’t just leave her to endure tests and bullies alone. Not after last year’s rumours and not with her grades on the line. Now Claudia needs her best—and only—friend more than ever. But Monday’s mother refuses to give Claudia a straight answer, and Monday’s sister April is even less help.

As Claudia digs deeper into her friend’s disappearance, she discovers that no one seems to remember the last time they saw Monday. How can a teenage girl just vanish without anyone noticing that she’s gone?

My Review:


I decided to pick up Monday's Not Coming because the cover was interesting, the title was eye-catching and the blurb was mysterious.

I listened to the audiobook on Scrib’d (its the Spotify for unlimited audio and ebooks, click here for a TWO-month trial) and I am glad I did.

Disclaimer: this review will contain spoilers as I can not review the book adequately without doing so.

Monday’s Not Coming starts off with us joining Claudia as she returns home from her grandmothers. (I think, minor detail though) when she returns the first thing she was to do is call her best friend Monday Charles, but there was no answer, the number was disconnected.

When Claudia waited for Monday at school she didn't show.

When she called again, the line was still down.

When she went to Monday’s door her mom threatened her with violence if she came back again.

No one wanted to help Claudia, no one had any idea where Monday was or where she disappeared to.

The book goes round and round through Claudia’s memories of Monday, her search for Monday, and her refusing to accept that she was gone.

The side characters in this book played a great role and were written well. I could feel the warmth of Claudia’s parents. The agony from Monday’s sister. The horror that Monday’s mother gave Claudia and the hope that Michael radiated.

There was a point in this book where I was getting pretty bored if we talk about a novel as having a “beginning” a “middle” and an “end” then I would have to say the middle dragged on for too long. There were moments I was just wishing the author, Tiffany D. Jackson would get to the point of revealing where Monday was and what had happened to her.

Having said that once the twist hit, I was thankful I stuck around through the parts I found dragged on too much, especially when THAT twist happened (sorry not spoiling 'that' part guys.) I honestly could understand why Tiffany put so many scenes in, I understand what she had to convey. The writing was incredible otherwise and I will be looking into Imani Parks to see if she has narrated anything else, her voice was captivating, even on 1.8.

Monday’s Not Coming is a dark novel. It deals with many issues that communities and families in today's society deal with on the daily. Things like racism and class division. Child abuse, domestic violence, bullying and so much more the message far out ways the small tiny negatives.

If you decide to read this novel (and I would highly recommend that you do) do so when you are in a strong mental state as it can be triggering or highly triggering for some people.

I really enjoyed this novel and gave it a four-star rating on Goodreads and will be checking out Tiffany Jackson’s other novels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by