Friday, September 20, 2019

Review: The Duff by Kody Keplinger

7962733What's it about?
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper may not be the prettiest girl in her high school, but she has a loyal group of friends, a biting wit, and a spot-on BS detector. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush, who calls Bianca the Duff—the designated ugly fat friend—of her crew.
But things aren't so great at home and Bianca, desperate for a distraction, ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

My Review: 
I had been hearing about The DUFF for a long time. It was the hit book when I first started reviewing and it eventually became a movie. When I found out what DUFF (designated ugly fat friend) meant I was appalled. I thought that it was going to be pure bullying of fat people and I wasn’t here for it.
However, when I joined Scrib’d (its the Spotify for unlimited audio and ebooks, click here for a one month trial) The DUFF was an audiobook that had a quick read time, so I gave it ago.
Bianca Piper and Wesley Rush are any two high school kids you could randomly imagine sitting at your school. Bianca turned bitter by every shoe that had walked over her previously.
Wesley, that guy who got all the pretty girls but really, he’s got a few skeletons in his closet just like the rest of us. Wesley’s approach on the women he womanizes is to treat their DUFF friends nicely, he assumes this does people a favour and they will do him one back. All was well and good for Mr Rush until he called the fierce Bianca a Duff. Little to his knowledge Wesley started a fire that he didn’t know he wanted or needed.
As the story grows in the book my fondness grew for both the main characters s the story was crafted into the style of an amazing heartwarming message, I’m going to leave that for you to read and find out.
I also enjoyed the friendships that Bianca had with her friends prior to the beginning of the novel. It showed how friends really act, like fights and arguments and eventually calling each other dick and moving on in some way.
The audio-book was fast-paced and read extremely well. The narrator, Ellen Grafton had a well-spoken character-driven voice that was easy was easy to relax too. Although I did not see the words on the page, Ellen would not have been able to express such a the novel as impressive as it was if it was not written well for her to read.
I am happy that I ended up giving The Duff a read and ended up giving it a four-star rating on Goodreads, I recommend you keep an eye out for a copy and give it a read. I’ll be watching the movie at some point which I hope is just as pleasant as the book was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by