Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Interview with Captivate Author Vanessa Garden

                                                       
 In a glittering underwater world, nothing is as it seems…


For the past twelve months since her parent’s death, seventeen-year-old Miranda Sun has harboured a dark secret- a secret that has strained the close relationship she once shared with her older sister, Lauren. In an effort to repair this broken bond, Miranda’s grandparents whisk the siblings away on a secluded beach holiday. Except before Miranda gets a chance to confess her life-changing secret, she’s dragged underwater by a mysterious stranger while taking a midnight swim.


Awakening days later, Miranda discovers that she’s being held captive in a glittering underwater city by an arrogant young man named Marko… the king of this underwater civilisation!


Nineteen-year-old Marko intends to marry Miranda in order to keep his crown from falling into the sinister clutches of his half-brother, Damir. There’s only one problem. Miranda is desperate to return home to right things with her sister and she want’s nothing to do with Marko. Trying to secure her freedom, Miranda quickly forms an alliance with Robbie- Marko’s personal guard. However, she soon discovers that even underwater, people are hiding dangerous secrets…

Interview with Vanessa
Thank you for finding the time to answer some questions, how has your day been?
Great, thank you! And thanks for having me :)

Tell us about your latest addition to the world?
My debut release coming out in January '14 is a Young Adult underwater-world fantasy titled CAPTIVATE. Captivate is about a seventeen year old girl who is dragged underwater while out for a midnight swim at a secluded beach. She awakens days later in a glittering underwater city where she is expected to marry a nineteen year-old king whose throne is under threat.

What is the best thing about about being an Australian Author?
I think Australia has an amazingly supportive writing community. I'm a member of the Romance Writers of Australia and have attended two conferences since joining four years ago. After each conference I've arrived home full of confidence and new skills because of the support and guidence of the lovely writers (published and unpublished) who attended with me. I have made some wonderful friends too :)

Was the writing process different for Captivate and Carrier and if so how?The difference in the two would definitely be the setting. Captivate is a fantastical, underwater setting, with more detailed world building required, whereas with Carrier, I was able to use our gorgeous Australian outback, a setting I have lived and breathed in several times, so it was a little easier to place myself in my character's shoes.

Do you have a favorite book out of the ones you have written? (mean question, I know)Aha, the 'chose your favourite child' question. Can I say Captivate and Carrier equally? No? Okay, then I'd have to say Captivate... for now ;)

How long does it take you to write a book?Usually three months for a very rough draft, then a re-write a couple of times (where I cut and add lines/paragraphs or even chapters), followed by a more detailed edit.

How do you feel about NANOWRIMO?I think it's a great idea and especially good if you've been stuck on a particular project or if you want to give an idea you're unsure about a try (if it doesn't work after a month, at least you gave it a shot). I once completed a project during a self-imposed NANO during a different month, May, I think. I completed the story in fourteen days. It was a messy draft, but a complete story at 70,000 words.

Can you tell us something quirky about your self?When I was a teen I learned how to play the bass guitar after becoming obsessed with Flea, the bass guitarist from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. They are still one of my favourite bands.

What is a typical day in the life of Vanessa Garden?I wake up with my kids (all early birds), have a nice strong coffee, help get them ready for school (while sneaking in a bit of reading), drop them off and head to work at my local bookstore where I usually end up spending the money I earn on books, then come home and make dinner with my husband and kids and just enjoy each other's company. I usually write for an hour or so when everyone's gone to bed, but most of my writing gets done on my two weekdays I don't work at the bookstore.

What can we expect next from you?CARRIER, my YA post apocalyptic sci-fi set in the wilds of the Australian outback coming out March 2014. I can't wait to share Lena and Patrick's story!

Do you have any advice for your readers who might also be wanting to write?Read as many books as you can get your hands on to develope the natural rhythm of a story. Have fun while you write. Be daring and write the book you'd love to read!

How can readers of The Book Mystress contact you?I'm @VanessaGarden27 on Twitter. I'm also on Goodreads and my blog https://vanessagarden.blogspot.com.au



Thanks for having me! :)



You can buy Captivate at the following locations
Booktopia
Amazon
Ibook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by